I've taught parenting classes for something like 5 years now. Conor's almost 2 so there were a number of years teaching that I was not a parent myself. I felt self conscience about this and inevitably there was always someone in the class who questioned this. But you know what? By the end of a 7-week course the person who questioned my not being a parent always gave me the best scores on the class evaluation. So I started to gain confidence. After all the doubters seemed to come around that's got to be good right?
As you should in any parenting class I acknowledged that it was tough to be a parent. I simply reminded people that my techniques with kids work even though I'm not their parent. The biggest difference. At the end of the day they weren't my kids and I could go home. Which meant a few things. 1.I got a break so it was easier to be consistent and 2. I didn't feel as guilty because it wasn't my kid acting this way. The point is things like consistency still are the best way but they are just harder t do when its all day everyday.
What I didn't realize before I became a mommy was that there was another factor that made it tough. This is a factor I don't even know how to describe. It is that it feels different when your child is upset. I can listen to kids cry and throw temper tantrums for hours. It drives me a little crazy but I can do it. The other night I timed one and was surprised to see it was only like 20minutes. It felt longer. Because when its your kid it pulls at you differently. A 20 minute tantrum with any other kid would be nothing. With Conor it frustrated the hell out of me.
So I thought about it. I thought about how it's different when your the parent and when your not. And then I realized I think it is so different but really I still do the same thing. The thought process is different. So I thought I'd share my thought process.
When I work with a kid and they throw a tantrum or aren't following directions this is what I do. I sit quietly (I tell parents all the time silence is an effective tool it sends a message to the kid that you are not happy/acknowledging their tantrum and gives you time to scramble for an idea. But they don't know you're scrambling! Victor parent!) So this is what I think while I have my best "this is not acceptable face":
Crap! Now what do I do?! Ok what choices can I give to get them to do what I want ? How can I give choices I have no control in this situation? Nope I have control what do I have control over?
(choices are the best it gives kids the impression of control while still maintain most of the control at the adult).
The conversation in my head seems like it goes on forever but the clock tells me it does not! Thank goodness! And then I pull some wonderful gem that I'm sure is not gong to work like. If you don't help me clean up the markers I'm not going to want to bring them the next time I see you. This of course is met with not cleaning up markers. But If I put away like 3 markers and remind them I won't bring them next time suddenly I have help. Go figure!
NOW when it is Conor the conversation in my head is different. It goes more like this:
Oh dear God I don't want to deal with this! (waiting) You're supposed to ignore tantrums right? So I'm doing that! Good for me, doing the right thing! (let entirely too much time pass) Ok seriously this is not the type of tantrum I just ignore I actually have to help his get out of his frustration. So now what the hell do I do? What would work me do? Work me would give him choices. I need to give him choices.
And then I give him choices and we eventually get the problem resolved. Eventually. So like I said it is pretty much the same the thought process is just a little different!
And yes I do actually ask myself what would work me do.
Did I mention I hate tantrums?! Can't wait for these to end! Don't worry I know I have a while!
Ahhh, the terrible 2's .... which really start around 18 mos. Come to think of it, the half years are tough.
ReplyDeleteGo 'work you'!!