Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Tomorrow

Mack's feet before any treatment

If all goes according to plan Mack will get his 5th cast removed tomorrow and they will do a tenotomy and then put him in his final three week cast. This creates an strange feeling for me. This will be done without sedation. Which is good, sedation is dangerous in babies. And for any mother who has watched her child be put under is a very unsettling feeling. I'm happy he does not need to be sedated. However the thought of them doing this without sedation does not feel good either.
 It's awful to watch your child in pain. 
But in the end this is important to his treatment.  So I'll just be glad when it is over with.

Going into his last cast I'm excited to be finishing  this part of his treatment. I've been reflecting back on the amazing progress he has made. It's incredible to me how much they have altered his foot in such a short time. 

Adjusting to his first cast

After the first cast
After the second cast

After the third cast
After the fourth cast


His last few casts have caused more discomfort coming off and his foot is becoming more sensitive to the touch. I hate that he's uncomfortable.

 I can't wait to be done changing diapers around a cast, trying to take pajamas and pants on and off with a leg that can't bend, giving baths with a ziplock bag and trying to position my hands around an awkward cast when comforting my child. 

This kid has had a rough start with a lot of poking and prodding from the beginning.




 Fortunately he's a great little boy who has been pretty laid back through all of it. 

And hopefully one day it will all be worth it when he can be a healthy little boy who can walk and be pain free. Like he was born like everyone else

And until then I'll just focus on enjoying the fact that I have some awesome boys in my life.



Who love each other.


And who love to show each other in beautiful moments.

 

And I'll be thankful to live in a place where I have access to the services to give my boys exactly what they need to be their best selves.


And hope that one day I can look back at all of this and marvel at where my boy has come from.

No comments:

Post a Comment